Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Twenty-three going on fourteen...

I was reading an article this morning about how today's population of "twenty-somethings" have a certain "failure to launch". We're apparently "not hitting the usual life markers (college, job, marriage, "mini-mes") in a traditional order." Us "twenty-somethings" are moving in with our significant others before marriage and/or skipping marriage all together - something completely unheard of in previous decades. Not only that, but some of us are skipping college, refusing to leave and/or consistently returning to the nest, not maintaining a steady home address, and repetitively changing jobs.

After reading this article, I then read a letter written by the "Twenty-Nothings" blogger in which she wrote "our goal is to get to the right place, not to get there at the 'right time.'"

That completely makes sense to me. Although I haven't lived at home in years (not counting the breif 6 month period I spent in my dad's basement), I have my own job, pay my own bills and am in a long-term, committed, non-cohabitational relationship, I find myself to be "stuck". I have yet to begin my "college career" for many reasons, mainly the fact that I have no idea what the heck I want to do with my life and am too cheap of a person to spend thousands of dollars pursuing a career path that in 4 months I may want nothing to do with! So I sit. I debate. And I wait. Although many "twenty-somethings" feel that being in their twenties means they have all the time in the world to deliberate, I am quite the opposite. I'm in a constant frenzy about "what am I going to do with my life?!" There's always this dull "tick, tick, tick" in the back of my head constantly reminding me that time is running out. Which brings me to my point....I'm more concerned about getting to the "right place", than getting there at the "right time". But who's to say where or when is right? Being a twenty-something is a scary thing in this day and age....

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're the best!