Friday, September 24, 2010

rants & raves

So, I've learned that this blog has become a place of release for me. Somewhere I can talk about things that none of my friends care to hear about.

So kids, today's topic is Capital Punishment.

Capital punishment, the death penalty, or execution is the killing of a person by judicial process as a punishment for an offense.

Criminals and political opponents have been executed in nearly all societies - both to punish crime and to suppress political dissent. Most societies reserve this punishment for crimes such as murder, espionage, treason or as part of military justice. Some countries crimes such as rape, adultery, incest and sodomy carry the same punishment, as do religious crimes like apostasy in Islamic nations. Some countries consider drug trafficking to be a capital offense as well. In China, human trafficking and serious cases of corruption are punishable by the death penalty as well. Military crimes such as cowardice, desertion, insubordination and mutiny have often resulted in capital punishment.

I find it highly ridiculous that any of those crimes would result in such a harsh punishment. Murder crimes I can be somewhat understanding of, although I find extreme hypocracy in this sort of punishment. How are you "teaching a lesson" by doing the same to them as they did to another? If you ask me, the message being sent is that it's ok to kill. But honestly, sodomy carries the same punishment? Ha. What if the recipient is willing? Still a crime? I call bullshit. It's all just bullshit.

Did you know - as of now, 139 (roughly) people have been wrongly convicted and sentenced to the death penalty?

Imagine, just for a second, the families of those 139 people. Their son, daughter, sister, brother, husband, wife, father, mother, all now without that person in their lives forever all because our "justice" system (and I use that term loosely) let power and control go right to their heads and took a life for something, that guilty or not, that person did not deserve to die for.

I'm sorry, but if our "justice" system can decide when someone is deserving of death for a crime they may, or may not have committed, such as sodomy or adultery, then tell me why I can't just kill my husband myself for fucking me in the ass? Preposterous.

U. S. EXECUTIONS SINCE 1976: 1,099 (as of April 1, 2008)

ON DEATH ROW IN THE U. S.: 3,263 (as of Jan 1, 2008)

My question for our government: what gives you the right to take a life that wasn't yours to take in the first place?

Answer me that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're the best!